Spencer Mountain Mansion
(Old Love House, Pharr Yarns Mansion)
Spencer Mountain, NC
The Town of Spencer Mountain was settled in 1772 by Zachariah Spencer, a local Tory. In 1874, J. Harvey Wilson II built a water-powered textile mill (Wilson & Moore Cotton Mill) at the base of Spencer Mountain. W. Thomas Love and John C. Rankin purchased the mill in 1895 and changed its name to Spencer Mountain Mills. A predecessor of Duke Power purchased the mill and the hydroelectric plant that powered it in 1926. The mill was purchased by Pharr Yarns in 1957 and was shut down in 1999. Spencer Mountain was incorporated for a brief period of time between 1895 and 1909 and again in 1963. The mansion is located at 222 Spencer Mountain Rd, across the street from the Pharr Yarns Mill at the base of the mountain. The mansion is said to have been built in the late 1700’s on top of the Old Spencer Mountain Memorial Cemetery. The entire hillside from Pharr Blvd. all the way over to Ranlo/Spencer Mountain Road was once a final resting place for many. Some of the old mill houses sit right on top of still visible tombstones. In the late 1990’s land was donated by the property owners to one of the families decedents that were confirmed as having family buried on this same hillside. You can now view this grave site that sits on the hillside on Main Street Spencer Mountain which is approximately 300 feet from the mansion. In 1997 Tracy Hamrick was elected as mayor of Spencer Mountain. Hamrick decided it would be fun to have a Halloween haunted house attraction at the mansion to raise money for the town and the volunteer fire department. Pharr Yarns, which owns the mansion, agreed to let him use the vacant house. But shortly after opening up the haunted attraction to the public the employees started to realize that the mansion truly was haunted. Many volunteer firefighters worked at the haunted mansion during the Halloween season. In 2005, the mansion was listed in a book titled “Encyclopedia of the World’s Most Haunted Places.” Now the mansion is closed to the public. It is in very bad shape due to vandalism and lack of preservation by the owners. It is ridden with no trespassing signs and its boarded up to keep unwanted guests out. As of today the mansion is not listed as a historical sight and it is not getting the credit and attention it deserves. If you would like to help us preserve this beautiful historic home please contact the Spencer Mountain Historical Society and see what you can do to help.
Spencer Mountain Mansions most famous ghost is a young woman named Sarah. She is said to be dressed in a flowing, white gown with no facial expression. She has been seen all over the mansions property. Many people have claimed to see her in the windows of mansion looking out towards the road. Some say they have seen her by the road also. While the mansion was being used as a Halloween attraction one of the volunteer firefighters working claimed to have seen Sarah. He frantically ran out of the mansion and never returned. Many people experienced numerous accounts of paranormal phenomena while the mansion was a Halloween attraction. Many workers complained that their equipment would fail during their shift or become unplugged, things would be misplaced, the power would go out at random several times through out the night, they would hear unexplained voices and bangs, and many people were scratched by an unseen force. Spencer Mountain Mansion is definitely haunted but no one knows why. There are several different stories that are linked back to the mansion explaining the hauntings but none of them have been proven to be fact. If you would like to visit Spencer Mountain Mansion please contact the current owners first. They do NOT allow anyone in or around the mansion without permission. The police also patrol the mansion to keep unwanted guests away.